UPS Research Identifies Growth Opportunities for Industrial Machinery Manufacturers

New UPS research has revealed that 78% of small- to mid-size industrial machinery companies believe their customers’ expectations for aftersales service are rising, but only 12% of those manufacturers indicate replacement parts and service are top differentiators for their business.


The UPS research, conducted by IDC Manufacturing Insights, indicates that while manufacturers focus on developing and deploying new machinery, the buyers of industrial machines are increasingly seeking aftersales support to maintain the complex machinery for optimal productivity.

“Industrial machinery manufacturers are in a challenging situation,” said Brian Littlefield, UPS Director of Industrial Segment Marketing. “Their pipeline depends on developing new products, yet over one-third say that 50 to 75 percent of their profitability comes from aftersales service. For many, enhancing service after the sale could be a way to differentiate from the competition and offers potential for revenue growth.”

The UPS research found that 56 percent of industrial machinery manufacturers manage aftersales service in-house and have no plans to outsource those services. The remaining 44 percent of equipment manufacturers currently use, or plan to use, a third-party service provider for long-term maintenance. 

The results are based on a March 2015 survey of U.S.-based industrial machinery providers with a global customer base and $10- and $50 million in annual revenue. All survey participants reported more than half of their business is in North America with the balance evenly divided between South America, Europe and Asia, and a small percentage in the Middle East and Africa.

The UPS Industrial Machinery Manufacturing Insights executive summary can be downloaded at

UPS serves manufacturers and distributors of industrial products with comprehensive supply chain services that include end-to-end visibility, warehousing, inventory management, inspections, multi-modal global delivery, returns handling, e-commerce, and insurance and financial services.


About UPS

UPS (NYSE: UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including transporting packages and freight; facilitating international trade, and deploying advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. Headquartered in Atlanta, UPS serves more than 220 countries and territories worldwide. The company can be found on the web at® and its corporate blog can be found at To get UPS news direct, visit


Related Content

Related Article Image
UPS Profit Lifted by Pricing, Maintains 2015 Earnings Outlook

United Parcel Service Inc on Tuesday reported higher first-quarter net profit due to price increases and...

comments powered by Disqus